Speaking at ITSC2018 about the role of CAV in enabling next level of roadsafety. Below are key takeaways from my talk:
– More than 90% of road accidents are due to human errors.
– Connected & Automated Vehicles (CAV) is the solution to many of those human errors.
– Automation is already much present in our cars and it does already do a great job in saving lives.
– The journey to generalization of Level 5 automated driving needs to go through a transition period where both cars driven by humans and cars driven by robots must cohabite and share the same roads. Such a period may last decades and we need to prepare for it.
– Automated driving relays on multiple sophisticated sensors and connectivity comes-in to complement existing sensing gaps and make the system more robust and more efficient.
– Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) aka hashtag#drones can play a key role in enabling end-to-end mobility automation e.g. by automating road assets monitoring and maintenance, road assistance, etc.